Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What is the history of ownership of Manhattan Island, New York? - Yahoo! Answers

What is the history of ownership of Manhattan Island, New York? - Yahoo! Answers

What is the history of ownership of Manhattan Island, New York?

I have just seen a Yahoo question to which several people have responded that the island was bought from the Native Indians for a trivial amount of beads and trinkets (the amounts they suggest vary). I also wonder what happened when ownership of New York (New Amsterdam) was taken over by the Dutch and when it was British. I vaguely recollect a story that the US embassy in London is the only one that is leasehold because the Duke of Westminster will sell the freehold when he gets Manhattan back (I do not know if this is true).

I am being curious. I tend to the view, also expressed in relation to the question that I saw, that who owns land is who owns it: history has its limits!

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

No comments:

Post a Comment